INDIANAPOLIS (Friday, July 29, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) once again made it into the Fast 12 during qualifying on a road/street course this season, placing himself 11th on the starting grid for tomorrow’s Gallagher Grand Prix.
Best lap in Round 2: 1:10.5636
Round 1 / Group 2 – 6th
Best lap: 1:10.6239
- Malukas registered a fastest lap 1:10.6239 in Group 2 of qualifying. The time placed him sixth in his group which allowed him to move on to the Fast 12 for the fourth time this season.
- The rookie placed fifth early on in segment 2 and even jumped up to first thanks to his fastest lap of 1:10. 5636.
- However, once all drivers had taken the checkered flag, he found himself 11th.
- In addition to his four trips to the Fast 12, Malukas has made it into the Firestone Fast 6 twice this season.
- He has a best start of fifth on the streets of Toronto.
- Malukas’ best finish this season came last weekend in Race 2 at Iowa Speedway where he finished eighth.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“We once again made it into Segment 2 but had some front brake issues and we couldn’t reach our maximum PSI in the front, so we had a lot of rear locking. It was a lot of fun to drive but very, very tough. That said, I think with the pace that we had it was still very, very good. It’s just a shame, I think the team did such a good job to make sure the #18 HMD car was where it needed to be and we just couldn’t show everything it had. I’m still very happy with 11th, I think that’s a good result and I look forward to the race tomorrow.”