Long Beach, CA (Saturday, April 15, 2023) – David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) qualified 25th for Sunday’s Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach after contact in his Group 1 session put an early end to his run.
- Malukas who is making his second appearance on the streets of Long Beach took to the track in Group 1 of qualifying.
- On his third lap, he made slight contact with the wall in Turn 9, and then lost the tail end of the car going into Turn 4, making heavy contact with the wall.
- He lost his two fastest laps due to causing a red flag during the qualifying session.
- In 2022, he started 18th and finished 21st after contact from another car took him out of the race at Long Beach.
- The Acura Grand Prix of Long Beach will go green on Sunday, April 16 at 12:45pm local time
- Malukas currently sits sixth in the NTT INDYCAR SERIES Championship Standings.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“I’m OK, I have a little bit of a headache. It was unfortunate. It actually started on the previous lap. I went into Turn 9, we looked at the data and we knew we had to break a little bit deeper trying to catch up some time, compared to the top guys. So, I tried to break a little bit deeper. I ended up losing the car and tapped the wall on the left. I gave the car a bit of a shake going down the straight and everything felt OK, but clearly it wasn’t. Going into Turn 4, I hit the brakes and the rear end just whipped out on me and I couldn’t save it. I feel really bad. I feel sorry for the Dale Coyne Racing with HMD team. Obviously, it’s my mistake on my end.”