Toronto, ON (Saturday, July 16, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) continued his impressive run on Saturday by registering his best starting position of the season with another trip to the Firestone Fast 6 and a fifth place on the grid for Sunday’s Honda Indy Toronto.
Best lap: 59.6140
Round 2 – 3rd
Best lap: 59.4638
Round 1 / Group 1 – 5th
Best lap: 59.8686
- Malukas registered a fastest lap of 59.87 seconds in Group 1 of qualifying. The time placed him fifth in his group and onto the second round of qualifying for the third time this year.
- He then registered the third fastest lap in the Top 12 and guaranteed himself a second trip to the Firestone Fast 6 this season.
- His first lap in the final round of qualifying initially placed him second in the group but his fastest lap of the session placed him fifth on the starting grid.
- Today’s result is Malukas’ best start of the season. His previous best was a sixth place in Detroit.
- Malukas’ last trip to the Honda Indy Toronto was in 2019 when he took part in a pair of Indy Lights races in which he picked up two top 10 finishes.
- Malukas has a best finish of ninth this season registered at the last round at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“We made it into the Fast 6 today. What an incredible job from the team. From the start in Segment 1 all the way to the start of Segment 3 in the Firestone Fast 6, the team made the right decisions with the car, the tires and everything. I think we used the wrong set of tires for the last run that might have cost us a position a two, but overall to make it into the Fast 6 I’m more than happy. I see my name against these veterans so it’s very cool for me. What a great job from the team.”