Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin (Sunday, June 18, 2023) – David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) was running strong at the Sonsio Grand Prix at Road America but an unknown engine issue put an early end to his race on Sunday.
- Having fallen a few places at the start of the 55-lap event, Malukas took advantage of an early caution period to make his first stop on Lap 2.
- While he took the Lap 4 restart in 26th place, the second-year driver then made his way up the field.
- Malukas was running 22nd when he made his second pit stop on Lap 12 and he continued to make progress as moved all the way into 14th on Lap 21.
- Unfortunately for the driver of the #18 HMD entry, an unknown engine issue put a sudden end to his progress on Lap 25.
- So far this season, the #18 HMD driver has a best starting position of ninth and a best finish of fourth (both at Texas Motor Speedway).
- The Dale Coyne Racing with HMD team will be back on track June 30 to July 2 for the Honda Indy 200.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“It’s frustrating. We ran competitively this weekend, and we were moving up the field today and things were looking good for the #18 HMD team. But then, I’m not sure what happened, I started having issues and unfortunately that put an end to our race way too early. It’s not what we wanted. At least we can take some positives out of this weekend as we had good pace and found some of our form from last season.”