Detroit, MI (Saturday, June 3, 2023) – David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) qualified 21st for tomorrow’s Detroit Grand Prix.
- Malukas went out in Group 1 for the first round of qualifying.
- He registered a fast lap of 1:03.7216 on the primary Firestone tire during his first outing in the 10-minute session which initially placed him sixth in his group.
- The sophomore driver entered pit lane following his third lap for a fresh set of alternate Firestone tires.
- Malukas improved his lap time to 1:03. 2126 on his final lap around the 1.645-mile, nine-turn street circuit.
- While his time initially placed him ninth in group, he found himself 11th in his group and 21st on the starting grid when all cars had taken the checkered flag.
- So far this season, the #18 HMD driver has a best starting position of ninth and a best finish of fourth (both at Texas Motor Speedway).
- In 2022, Malukas started 6th and finished 11th at the Detroit Grand Prix which took place on the street circuit on Belle Isle.
- The 2023 Detroit Grand Prix goes green at 3:30pm ET and will be broadcast live on NBC starting at 3pm ET.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“We struggled in practice yesterday with our #18 HMD Honda, but we were able to make some improvements heading into this morning’s practice session. We were optimistic going into qualifying this afternoon, but I think we would’ve needed one more lap to be able to put in a better lap time and move up the grid. It will be a long race tomorrow, but anything can happen.”