Nashville, TN (Sunday, August 5, 2023) – David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) registered his best road/street course start on Saturday, but unfortunately was unable to turn that into a good result after an engine fire put an end to his race on Lap 12 of the Big Machine Music City Grand Prix.
- Malukas gained one position on the start to take over fourth place from Series Championship leader Alex Palou.
- The #18 driver kept running strong in the opening laps of the 80-lap event and entered pit lane on Lap 11 to make his first pit stop.
- Unfortunately for Malukas, his race came to an early end on the following lap due to an engine fire that created so much it delaminated the rear wing pillar.
- So far this season, Malukas has a best starting position of third (Iowa Speedway Race 2) and a best finish of fourth (Texas Motor Speedway).
- Next Up: Gallagher Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, August 12, 2023 (USA, 2:00pm ET)
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“It’s really unfortunate what happened today. We had our best street course qualifying of the season, making it into the Firestone Fast 6 yesterday for the first time this season. So, we knew we had a good car and we were really hopeful to turn that into a good result today. Sadly, it wasn’t meant to be for us. I feel bad for the entire Dale Coyne Racing with HMD team because the guys work so hard and we were all looking forward to having a strong race and good result.”