Toronto, ON (Sunday, July 17, 2022) – Rookie David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) put in another strong performance on Sunday on the streets of Toronto registering the fastest race lap on the way to a 12th place finish which was in no way indicative of his overall performance.
- After a season best qualifying effort on Saturday, Malukas ran strong for the entire Honda Indy Toronto and registered the fastest race lap on Lap 15 with a time of 1:00.8307.
- He was running seventh when he entered pit lane on Lap 12 and was back running in the top 10 by Lap 19.
- Malukas held his own, running with veteran drivers and was sitting fifth when he made what would be his final stop.
- Unfortunately for the rookie, an issue with the pit stop cost him some important positions and he fell to 14th following his trip down pit lane.
- He continued to run strong and survived a second half of the race that saw quite a few caution periods to finish 12th.
- Malukas has a best finish of ninth this season registered at the last round at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“I survived the Honda Indy Toronto, and no blisters this time! There was a good amount of cautions and I think that helped! Overall, I’m very happy with how the race went. We managed to do a very early undercut and I was pushing like crazy on the second stint on the primary tire and we managed to gain a few positions. We had to do massive fuel saving to make that long second stint. We did lose a few positions here and there, but I learned a lot on how to judge when the car is going to make a move from behind me and when to use the push to pass button and defend. Overall, I learned a lot and I think it was a good day. Unfortunately, on the last pit stop when everyone pit together we managed to make a bit of a mistake on our part, so we lost a few positions there. I feel like in this one race I matured another 20 years!”