INDIANAPOLIS (Friday, August 11, 2023) – David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) will be starting 27th for the Gallagher Grand Prix after qualifying 23rd. The #18 HMD driver received a six-position starting grid penalty for an unapproved engine change following the 18 car’s engine fire in Nashville.
- Malukas went out in the very competitive Group 1 for the first round of qualifying. A group in which the top 12 cars were within 0.6 seconds of each other.
- He took to the track on the primary tire for his first three-lap outing.
- The sophomore driver switched to the alternate tire for his final two laps and registered a fastest lap of 1:10.8687.
- His time placed him 12th in his group and 23rd overall, however due to his grid penalty he will be starting at the rear of the field.
- So far this season, Malukas has a best starting position of third (Iowa Speedway Race 2) and a best finish of fourth (Texas Motor Speedway).
- Malukas has a best finish of 12th (May 2022) on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.
- Next Up: The Gallagher Grand Prix at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, August 12, 2023 (USA, 2:00pm ET)
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“We knew going into qualifying that we were faced with a six-place grid penalty, so we obviously wanted to do well. Unfortunately, we struggled today, and it will be a long race tomorrow starting from the back, but anything can happen.”