Leeds, Alabama (Saturday, April 29, 2023) – David Malukas (#18 HMD Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports) qualified 17th for Sunday’s Children’s of Alabama Indy Grand Prix.
- Malukas took to the track in Group 1 of qualifying on Saturday and initially placed 10th in his group after his first qualifying run by registering a lap time of 1:06.9153 on his third lap around the 2.3-mile 17-turn circuit.
- The #18 HMD driver then put on a set of alternate Firestone tires for his second run.
- He was able to improve his lap time to 1:06.1851 on his sixth and final lap of the circuit.
- His time initially placed him eighth in his group, but he ended up ninth when all cars had taken the checkered flag at the end of the 10-minute session.
- In 2022, at Barber Motorsports Park, Malukas started 18th and finished 20th.
- The Indy Grand Prix will go green on Sunday, April 30 at 2:30pm local time.
David Malukas, #18 Dale Coyne Racing with HMD Motorsports Honda
“Unfortunately for us it was a short qualifying. To be fair, we’ve struggled in the practice sessions, trying to find pace, and keeping up with the top cars this weekend. We tried some different things, we thought would be a bit better, we maybe also missed the timing a little bit on when the tires would come in for that one lap. But now we turn our focus to the race and see what we can find there.”